Philip Werner is a full time outdoor author and backpacker who resides in New England. His website SectionHiker.com is ranked as the #1 Hiking and Backpacking on the internet by AdventureJunkies.com in 2018.
The name of this site, Sovety-Vsem, refers to the Appalachian Trail which I’ve been hiking section by section since 2007. To date, I’ve completed 1400 miles of the trail and hope to complete all of the sections between Georgia and Maine someday. I’ve also hiked:
- The 272 mile Long Trail in Vermont, a National Scenic Trail.
- 36th person to finish hiking all 1440 miles of the White Mountain National Forest trail system.
- Climbed all 48 of the 4000 footers in New Hampshire’s White Mountains (including a round during calendar winter).
- Finished climbing the Trailwrights 72, an even longer and harder list of White Mountain 4000 footers.
- Completed two coast-to-coast backpacking trips across the Scottish highlands, in the 2010 and 2013 TGO Challenges.
While I love backpacking, I am also a compulsive day hiker, peak bagger, and bushwhacker. I’m up for any kind of hiking and think it’s a great way to get outside, give yourself a break from your worldly troubles, and get some natural exercise.
Stewardship and Volunteer Activities
I’m a 4 season hiking and backpacking leader for the Appalachian Mountain Club and on the executive board of the Random Hikers Meetup, a 5000+ member hiking group active in New Hampshire’s White Mountains. I teach hiking navigation classes and lead about a dozen backpacking, day hiking, winter mountaineering and bushwhacking trips each year as a volunteer for both these organizations. In addition, I’m a Long Trail Mentor for the Green Mountain Club in Vermont.
Outdoor Certifications and Training
I am a Leave No Trace Master Educator qualified to train individuals to become Leave No Trace Trainers. In addition, I am a former guide for Andrew Skurka Adventures and have WFA, CPR/AED, and Level 1 AIARE Certifications.
More Biographical Information
If you’d like to ask Philip a backpacking, hiking, camping, or business-related related question, please submit it using this form.
Note: Philip gets so many requests for help planning AT section hikes and hikes in the White Mountains, that he can’t respond to them all.
- If you need help planning a hike on the Appalachian Trail, most answers (parking, shuttles, campsites, etc) can be found in
- If you need help planning a hike in the White Mountains, most answers (parking, shuttles, campsites, trails, etc) can be found in the The White Mountain Guide.
If you are writing me about one of the following topics, I’m likely to delete your email so don’t bother sending me a message.
- I don’t publicize Kickstarter fundraising campaigns.
- I don’t accept guest posts from people I don’t know.
- I don’t sell backlinks or post content with paid backlinks.
For serious questions about gear, skills, or media and business inquiries, fill in this form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Most Popular Searches
- philip werner
- Philip werner hammock
- Philip warner tent